December 25, 2017

Shelley Winters, A Place in the Sun


Through Shelley Winters, Alice Tripp is an anomalous character which presents an array of conflicting feelings. Alice is fundamentally a good person, one who wants to do the right thing when she finds herself in a precarious situation. And yet I didn't like her - and I imagine I'm not the only viewer to have felt this way. More broadly, Alice is a character whose total screen time will make you feel as though she is a supporting character - yet she is deeply central to A Place in the Sun, and the film could not advance without her.


Where I was most taken by Winters was through her earliest scenes. Here she is affable, and presents a hesitance and soft-spoken nervousness becoming of of someone who may feel as though they're being preyed upon. Every glance or line she speaks towards Montgomery Clift as the two play out their courtship is done so with delicate caution. For me, Winters' scene with the doctor is the best in her performance - one that is toiled with desperation, hurt, and restraint.


Not long after this scene, Alice takes on a more hostile attitude. Her moments at the bus station showcase a completely different woman: frantic, boisterous, full of rage - but they're also scenes constructed to coerce the viewer into disliking Alice. After all, the flow of the film wouldn't be as impactful if a wholly agreeable character finds their demise at the hands of Montgomery Clift. There's irony - and a bit of deep-seated misogyny in place - for us to find ourselves against a woman who asserts herself to get what she wants. I'd wager that there are some embedded, superficial discriminations as well - if Alice was as beautiful as Angela, would we be prompted to dislike her as much? That being said, even as I was not fond of Alice in all of her scenes from the bus station onward, and even as I realize that that inexplicable aversion towards her is unjust, I must give kudos to Winters for navigating this gray area expertly. She is ultimately as pitiable as she is a vexation.

I've gone back and forth regarding my rating for the performance. There's not enough there for me to be terribly keen on it, but what Winters does with the character is strong. Based on how what she makes me feel towards her, first as the pursuee and then the pursuer, I give her:


15 comments:

  1. I liked her much more. I thought her character’s actions might not have been always likeable but they were certainly understandable and justifiable. What did you think of Elizabeth Taylor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Liz as a whole, though I don't know that I have much of an opinion on her in this film. She's so so stunning, but aside from her illegal levels of beauty there's not much about the character that stayed with me.

      Delete
  2. Montgomery Clift reportedly complained to director George Stevens that Winters was too annoying in the part but that, supposedly, is what Stevens wanted. If so, it unfortunately worked because I find most of her screen time to be most unenjoyable. The deck is stacked against her (an impossibly glamorous Taylor compared to a frumpish, annoying Winters) but the character is mostly a plot fulcrum and I don't think Winters added anything, such as layers or textures, to make her any more than that. I find her grating and undeserving of her nomination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly don't feel as strongly about Winters as you. I can, however, appreciate what she does with the part, though at the end of the day, it's far from a highlight for the category.

      Delete
    2. All three actors left a HUGE impression on me. They played their roles flawlessly. You guys are dead in the water.

      Delete
  3. A supporting role that boards on leading given how much her presence resonates through the whole film. I could consider her lead if she didn't make her character more of an obstacle to a much more interesting romance between Clift and Taylor, but actually I can't complain as I like A Place in the Sun for what it is. And also I couldn't put all the blame on her, since it seems it was what Stevens meant for her. At least she's pitiable and delicate and still didn't make a saint out of her character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with many of your points. I can't tell if you're the Gustavo I've been in touch with in the past in regards to this blog or if you're a brand new visitor - if it's the latter, then welcome.

      Delete
  4. I actually totally love the idea to make her such an annoying character - I think it makes the moral dilemma even more difficult. Yes, Shelley is annoying and frumpy but does that mean she deserves to die?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, quite a moral dilemma in deed. Is she even annoying? Do I just perceive her to be so because the film makes a god and goddess out of Monty and Liz?

      Delete
  5. It’s been a while since I watched this but I recalled it being the other way round for me - she left a deeper impression when she became more hostile and I really thought she matched Clift’s Intensity really well for the boat scene.

    I really liked the movie then though, I thought the story was really compelling and everyone, even Liz Taylor, gave good to great performances. Due for a rewatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that was also the case for me as well - she certainly makes an impression once she is hostile, and for whatever reason that causes the viewer to like her less.

      I loved A Place in the Sun - I'd recommend a rewatch soon!

      Delete
    2. Wow, I thought I was the only one hoping for Liz and George. The law says....George MUST marry Alice and live up to his responsibility. I consider myself a Christian and I'm ashamed I feel this way about the movie. I would never say OH, he's a monster because I was hoping it would work out for him. Why? Because I MYSELF would want that. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak

      Delete
  6. My search online wondering if anyone else detested her character as much as I did led me to this site. Ashamedly I wanted “George” to get away with offing her lol. Great movie, good grief was Elizabeth Taylor gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found her performance in this film to be rather haunting. Thought she nailed the role.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read that Liz was only 17 when this was done. She looked amazing and I thought she was SO cute when George asked her...you mean, you'd marry me? She replied...haven't I told you? I intend to! I thought that was so cute. She was so innocent and sweet. Of course she was always strikingly pretty!

    ReplyDelete